- Preheat the oven to 180C or 175C fan.
- First melt the butter, then turn off the heat, mix in the cold milk and then whisk in the egg.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Break the nuts up a bit (you can crush them in your hand, or roughly chop them).
- Wash and dice the apple, removing the core. You can peel the apple if you like.
- Mix the apple and then the butter/milk/egg mix into the dry ingredients. Roughly combine, it doesn’t have to be perfect, a few lumps are ok.
- Spoon the mixture between the muffin cups until they are about ¾ full. As a guide, at Kiss the Hippo we make large muffins, which uses 145g mix per muffin and makes 8.
- Next make the crumble – in a small bowl use your fingers to rub in the butter and flour until you get a breadcrumb texture. Add the sugar and walnuts and combine.
- Sprinkle this mixture across the muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-25minutes (depending on the size, larger ones will take longer). You can check they’re cooked if a skewer or toothpick comes out clean from the centre.
- Allow them to cool a little then enjoy!
Why not try using seasonal rhubarb instead of diced apple? Simply chop 220g rhubarb and sprinkle over 1 tbsp sugar (because rhubarb needs a little help in this department) before adding to your muffin mixture.
Kiss the Hippo Team