Vegan | No Refined Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 175C fan.
- In a big bowl, squash all the bananas (you can use your clean hands!) then mix in the oil, vanilla and water.
- Next add the dried fruit. At Kiss the Hippo we use a mixture of chopped dates and sultanas, but really any dried fruit you have will work here. Just make sure you chop it up.
- Finally add in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. You can use any flour really but we like the taste of wholemeal spelt flour in this cake.
- Oil and line an 8inch loaf tin or 8inch round tin, then spoon in the cake mixture. The tin will look very full. Decorate the top of the cake with the pumpkin seeds.
- Bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
This is a very forgiving cake, just keep the ratios of flour: oil: water: fruit the same and you can experiment. What about banana, dried mango and cardamom? Or replace the banana with some (ripe) diced pear with crystallised ginger and a handful of pecans?